- 1. They were cleaning (clean) the windows when it started (start) to rain.Cleaning the windows was the longer action.2. As he (drive)
- Другие вопросы из категории
- Читайте также
- Spotlight 9, Grammar Check 3
- The Past Continuous Tense. Упражнения с ответами
- Exercise 1. Составьте предложения в the Past Continuous Tense.
- Exercise 2. Поставьте глаголы в скобках в правильную форму.
- Exercise 3. Выберите правильный вариант ответа.
- Exercise 4. Дополните предложения when или while.
- Exercise 5. Сделайте предложения отрицательными.
- Exercise 6. Составьте предложения, используя слова в скобках в the Past Continuous Tense.
- Exercise 7. Поставьте глаголы в скобках в правильную форму.
- Exercise 8. Поставьте глаголы в скобках в правильную форму и прочитайте шутку.
- Exercise 9. Сделайте предложения вопросительными.
- Exercise 10. Составьте предложения, используя the Past Continuous Tense.
- Exercise 11. Поставьте глаголы в скобках в правильную форму.
- Exercise 12. Напишите вопросы к предложениям, используя вопросительные слова в скобках.
- Exercise 13. Составьте вопрос к выделенным словосочетаниям.
- Exercise 14. Поставьте глаголы в скобках в правильную форму.
- Exercise 15. Переведите на английский язык.
1. They were cleaning (clean) the windows when it started (start) to rain.Cleaning the windows was the longer action.2. As he (drive)
to work, he (remember) that his briefcase was still at home.
1. They were cleaning the windows when it started to rain. Cleaning the windows was the longer action.
2. As he was driving to work, he remembered that his briefcase was still at home.
3. Melaniewas cooking dinner when her husband came home.
4. I heard a loud crash as I was sitting in the garden.
5. She was typing a letter when her boss arrived.
6. While the dog was digging in the garden, it found) a bone.
7. Marywas riding her bicycle when she noticed the tiny kitten.
8. While I was doing my homework, the phone rang.
Другие вопросы из категории
One night Mrs Joyce Boweles was driving her car from Winchester to Chilcomb with a friend of the family, Mr Ted Pratt. Suddenly they saw an orange light in the sky. The car started to shake and Mrs Bowels couldn’t control it. Some unknown power lifted it, then pushed to the left, then stopped
the engine and switched off the lights.
«It was then that we saw a cigar-shaped object about five yards long. There were three figures inside,» said Mrs Bowles. The three figures were the crew of the UFO. Mrs Bowles said that she had never been so frightened before.
At first, the alien crew looked like ordinary people. They were wearing silver clothes.
Then an alien came out of the UFO. He was quite tall and seemed to be about forty-five and looked at the two frightened people inside. He had clear, white skin and pink eyes.
Mrs Bowles was afraid that the alien would kill them, but he only looked at the car’s
instuments. Suddenly the lights switched on automatically and they shone (were
shining) four times brighter than normal. Mrs Bowles wanted to say «Thank you» but before she opened her mouth the UFO and its crew had already disappeared into the night.
юристов – the lawyers’ duties
Russia’s long, cold, dark winters, are one of the country’s most familiar features. From
to March, the average temperature is below zero centigrade (32 F). Snow
normally covers the ground from late November to early April. The
summer months bring warmer weather to the region, with moderate
precipitation. July, generally the hottest month, averages 18.1 C (approximately 66 F). Most Russians seem to prefer the winter months and wait anxiously each fall for the snow to begin.
Sam and Fred. (often/go)fishing together.
My parents. (just/move) to a beautiful house in the country.
As he. (drive) to work, he. (remember) that his briefcase was still at home.
Mary. (ride)her bicycle when she. (notice) the tiny kitten.
The team. (practice)every day.
Mr.Johnson. (open) a new shop in the village next month.
I’m lost. I. (drive) around here for an hour.
While I. (do) my homework, the phone. (ring).
The mechanic. (repair) my car at the moment.
at six I (prepare) dinner.
3. the kids (play) in the garden when it suddenly began to rain.
4. i (practise) the giutar when he came home.
5. we (not/cycle) all day.
6. while aron (work) in his room, his friends (swim) in the pool.
7. i tried to tell them the truth but they (listen,not).
8. what (you/do) yesterday?
9. most of the time we (sit) in the park.
don’t suppose they had ever thought about railways except as a means of getting to Maskelyne and Cook’s, the Pantomime, Zoological Gardens, and Madame Tussaud’s. They were just ordinary suburban children, and they lived with their Father and Mother in an ordinary red-brick-fronted villa, with coloured glass in the front door, a tiled passage that was called a hall, a bath-room with hot and cold water, electric bells, French windows, and a good deal of white paint, and ‘every modern convenience’, as the house-agents say. There were three of them. Roberta was the eldest. Of course, Mothers never have favourites, but if their Mother had had a favourite, it might have been Roberta. Next came Peter, who wished to be an Engineer when he grew up; and the youngest was Phyllis, who meant extremely well. Mother did not spend all her time in paying dull calls to dull ladies, and sitting dully at home waiting for dull ladies to pay calls to her. She was almost always there, ready to play with the children, and read to them, and help them to do their home-lessons. Besides this she used to write stories for them while they were at school, and read them aloud after tea, and she always made up funny pieces of poetry for their birthdays and for other great occasions, such as the christening of the new kittens, or the refurnishing of the doll’s house, or the time when they were getting over the mumps. These three lucky children always had everything they needed: pretty clothes, good fires, a lovely nursery with heaps of toys, and a Mother Goose wall-paper. They had a kind and merry nursemaid, and a dog who was called James, and who was their very own. They also had a Father who was just perfect—never cross, never unjust, and always ready for a game—at least, if at any time he was not ready, he always had an excellent reason for it, and explained the reason to the children so interestingly and funnily that they felt sure he couldn’t help himself. You will think that they ought to have been very happy. And so they were, but they did not know how happy till the pretty life in the Red Villa was over and done with, and they had to live a very different life indeed. The dreadful change came quite suddenly. Peter had a birthday—his tenth. Among his other presents was a model engine more perfect than you could ever have dreamed of. The other presents were full of charm, but the Engine was fuller of charm than any of the others were. Its charm lasted in its full perfection for exactly three days. Then, owing either to Peter’s inexperience or Phyllis’s good intentions, which had been rather pressing, or to some other cause, the Engine suddenly went off with a bang. James was so frightened that he went out and did not come back all day. All the Noah’s Ark people who were in the tender were broken to bits, but nothing else was hurt except the poor little engine and the feelings of Peter. The others said he cried over it—but of course boys of ten do not cry, however terrible the tragedies may be which darken their lot. He said that his eyes were red because he had a cold. This turned out to be true, though Peter did not know it was when he said it, the next day he had to go to bed and stay there.
were fishing when Hans was falling into the water. 6. It rained when we went out. 7. We were dancing at the disco when we saw Sandy. 8. I was losing my money when I bought presents. 9. I broken my leg while I was skiing.10. They are sitting in the garden when it started to rain.
haven/t got. time,i/ll help you.
did you take. photos in Spain
1)few 2)litlle 3)many 4)much
соотнесите первую часть предложения со второй
Spotlight 9, Grammar Check 3
На данной странице находятся лексико-грамматические упражнения с ответами по английскому языку из учебника Spotlight 9 из раздела Grammar Check, Module 3.
Exercise 1. Read the story and fill in the gaps with the past simple or the past continuous.
Упражнение 1. Прочтите рассказ и заполните пропуски глаголами в простом прошедшем времени или в простом продолженном времени.
One cold, stormy afternoon, Harry’s dad (tell) him a ghost story called ‘Scary Sally’. “One day long ago,” he (say), “a man (walk) through the woods, when he (notice) that strange lights (shine) in the north, south, east and west. Suddenly, he also (see) a strange woman. Big, black crows (fly) above her head. Then, the crows (chase) the terrified man out of the woods! Nowadays, people still sometimes see the strange lights, the witch and the crows.” Harry (not/believe) his dad’s story!
That night, Harry (hear) a strange tapping sound at his bedroom window. Harry (look) out of the window and (scream) loudly! He (can) see some strange lights and big, black crows (circle) in the trees…
One cold, stormy afternoon, Harry’s dad was telling him a ghost story called ‘Scary Sally’. “One day long ago,” he said, “a man was walking through the woods, when he noticed that strange lights were shining in the north, south, east and west. Suddenly, he also saw a strange woman. Big, black crows were flying above her head. Then, the crows chased the terrified man out of the woods! Nowadays, people still sometimes see the strange lights, the witch and the crows.” Harry didn’t believe his dad’s story!
That night, Harry heard a strange tapping sound at his bedroom window. Harry looked out of the window and screamed loudly! He could see some strange lights and big, black crows were circling in the trees…
Одним холодным грозовым днем отец Гарри рассказывал ему историю о привидении, которая называется “Страшная Салли”. “Однажды давным давно”, – сказал он, “через лес шел один человек и заметил, как на севере, юге, востоке и западе сияли странные огни. Вдруг он увидел странную женщину. Над ее головой летали большие черные вороны. Затем эти вороны погнали испуганного человека из леса! Сегодня люди иногда видят странные огни, ведьму и ворон.” Гарри не поверил в историю его отца!
В ту ночь Гарри услышал странный стук в окно его спальни. Гарри выглянул из окна и громко вскрикнул! Он увидел, как какие-то странные огни и большие черные вороны кружат над деревьями…
1) By the time Graham arrived at the train station, the train has already been leaving / had already left.
2) How long had you been trying / had you tried to call Tom before he finally answered the phone?
3) The children had been putting away / had put away their toys before their mum came back home.
4) Alan had a headache because he had played / had been playing computer games all afternoon.
5) Simon had saved / had been saving money for many years before he bought his own house.
6) The football game had just been starting / had just started when it began to rain.
1) By the time Graham arrived at the train station, the train had already left. – К тому времени, как Грэхэм прибыл на вокзал, поезд уже отправился.
2) How long had you been trying to call Tom before he finally answered the phone? – Как долго вы пытались позвонить Тому, перед тем как он наконец ответил на телефон?
3) The children had put away their toys before their mum came back home. – Дети убрали свои игрушки, перед тем как вернулась мама.
4) Alan had a headache because he had been playing computer games all afternoon. – У Алана болела голова, потому что он весь день играл в компьютерные игры.
5) Simon had been saving money for many years before he bought his own house. – Саймон копил деньги в течение многих лет, до того как он купил свой собственный дом.
6) The football game had just started when it began to rain. – Футбольная команда только начала игру, как пошел дождь.
Exercise 3. Read and match. Then put the verbs in bold in the correct tense.
Упражнение 3. Соотнесите цифры и буквы. Потом поставьте глаголы в правильное время.
1) I / surf the Net
2) Mike / have lunch
3) Daniel / already get to the airport
4) Sarah’s clothes/ be wet
5) Julia / sleep
a) when he / realise he / leave his passport at home.
b) because she / walk in the rain.
с) when we suddenly / have a power cut.
d) and then do the washing-up.
e) when a loud noise / wake her up.
Exercise 4. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct past tense.
Упражнение 4. поставьте глагол из скобок в правильное прошедшее время.
1. Yuri (work) on his computer for two hours before it (break down).
2. I (mop) the floor while my brother (cut) the grass.
3. (you/sleep) when the earthquake (start)?
4. This time last week, I (fly) to Paris.
5. Sam was really happy because he (pass) all his exams.
6. Sarah (clean) the house by the time her parents (come) back.
7. James (wait) for a while and then (open) the door to see who (make) that strange noise.
8. Marion (not/go) shopping because she (spend) the morning with her little brother that day.
1. Yuri had been working on his computer for two hours before it broke down. – Юрий два часа проработал за компьютером, перед тем как он сломался.
2. I was mopping the floor while my brother was cutting the grass. – Я мыл пол шваброй, пока мой друг подрезал траву.
3. Were you sleeping when the earthquake started? – Вы спали, когда началось землетрясение?
4. This time last week, I was flying to Paris. – В это время на пршолой неделе я летел в Париж.
5. Sam was really happy because he had passed all his exams. – Сэм был по-настоящему счастлив, потому что он сдал все свои экзамены.
6. Sarah had cleaned the house by the time her parents came back. – Сара сделала уборку в доме к тому моменту, как вернулись ее родители.
7. James waited for a while and then opened the door to see who was making that strange noise. – Джеймс немного подождал и потом открыл дверь, чтобы увидеть, кто так странно шумел.
8. Marion didn’t go shopping because she spent the morning with her little brother that day. – Марион не ходил за покупками, потому что он провел утро со своим маленьким братом в то время.
1. Carol was making a phone call and then left the office.
2. What did you do at 10 o’clock yesterday morning?
3. Rob was twisting his ankle, so he couldn’t play football.
4. When I was younger, I was living with my parents.
5. Bill was cooking dinner by the time I got home.
1. Carol made (неправильно was making) a phone call and then left the office. – Кэрол сделала телефонный звонок и потом покинула офис.
2. What were you doing (неправильно did you do) at 10 o’clock yesterday morning? – Что вы делали в 10 часов вчера утром?
3. Rob had twisted (неправильно was twisting) his ankle, so he couldn’t play football. – Роб вывихнул лодыжку, поэтому он не мог играть в футбол.
4. When I was younger, I lived (неправильно was living) with my parents. – Когда я был моложе, я жил со своими родителями.
5. Bill had cooked (неправильно was cooking) dinner by the time I got home. – Билл приготовил обед к тому моменту, как я пришел домой.
Exercise 6. Read the email and put the verbs in brackets into the correct past tense.
Упражнение 6. Прочтите электронное письмо и поставьте глаголы из скобок в правильное прошедшее время.
Last week we asked readers to send us descriptions of their funniest dreams. Here’s the winning email from Gerry in England.
I (study) for an exam the whole evening so I was quite tired when I went to bed. In the dream I was at school. I (enter) my classroom and (sit) at my desk when suddenly I realised that all my classmates (wear) masks of farm animals! My teacher entered the room. I tried to read the test paper she (hand out) but all the questions were in some strange animal language with moos and baas! The rest of the class (write) their answers without any problem. In the morning I woke up and heard some cows outside my window. They (break) through our gate during the night. The noises they (make) all night had probably caused my dream!
Last week we asked readers to send us descriptions of their funniest dreams. Here’s the winning email from Gerry in England.
I had been studying for an exam the whole evening so I was quite tired when I went to bed. In the dream I was at school. I entered my classroom and sat at my desk when suddenly I realised that all my classmates were wearing masks of farm animals! My teacher entered the room. I tried to read the test paper she handed out but all the questions were in some strange animal language with moos and baas! The rest of the class were writing their answers without any problem. In the morning I woke up and heard some cows outside my window. They had broken through our gate during the night. The noises they had been making all night had probably caused my dream!
На прошлой неделе мы попросили читателей прислать нам описания своей самой забавной мечты. Вот письмо-победитель от Джерри из Англии.
Весь вечер я готовился к экзамену, поэтому я был весьма уставшим, когда пошел спать. Мне приснилась школа. Я вошел в классную комнату и сел з свою парту, когда вдруг понял, что на всех моих одноклассниках были маски животных! Вошел в класс учитель. Я попытался прочесть тест, который он раздал, но все вопросы были даны на странном языке животных с мычанием и блеянием! Остальная часть класса писала свои ответы без проблем! Утро я проснулся и услушал коров за окном. В течение ночи они проломили наши ворота. Тот шум, который от них шел всю ночь, вероятно и вызвал мой сон!
Exercise 7. Use the phrases to prepare a short story. Tell the class. Use connectors (and, because, but) where the dashes (—) are.
Упражнение 7. Используйте фразы, чтобы подготовить короткий рассказ. Используйте связки (and, because, but) вместо прочерков (—).
• It / be / Friday evening. Daniel / just arrive / Heathrow Airport / London, take / his luggage — get / a taxi go / his hall of residence.
• He arrive / flat — open / his suitcase, be surprised his suitcase / be full of women’s clothes, he / realise — he / take the wrong suitcase.
• He call / the Lost and Found Department at the airport — the officer / say / nobody / report / they / take / wrong suitcase. Daniel / be really upset.
• He go / kitchen — make dinner, the door / open — a girl / enter the fiat, she / hold his suitcase! he / go / his bedroom — return holding / her suitcase, show it to the girl they / start laughing.
• It was Friday evening. Daniel had just arrived at Heathrow Airport in London. – Был пятничный вечер. Даниель только что прибыл аэропорт Хитроу в Лондоне.
• He arrived at his flat and opened his suitcase. He was surprised because his suitcase was full of women’s clothes. He realised that he had taken the wrong suitcase. – Он прибыл в свою квартиру и открыл чемодан. Он был удивлен, потому что его чемодан был полон женской одежды. Он понял, что он взял не тот чемодан.
• He called the Lost and Found Department at the airport but the officer said nobody had reported that they had also taken the wrong suitcase. Daniel was really upset. – Он позвонил в Бюро утерянный и найденный вещей в аэропорту, но служащий сказал, что никто не сообщал о том, что он тоже взял не тот чемодан.
• He went into the kitchen and made dinner. The door opened and a girl entered the flat. She was holding his suitcase! He went to his bedroom and returned holding her suitcase. He showed it to the girl and they started laughing. – Он отправился на кухню и приготовил обед. Открылась дверь и в квартиру вошла девушка. Она держала его чемодан! Он пошел в свою спальню и вернулся, держа ее чемодан. Он показал его девушке, и они начали смеяться.
1. Susan — “I eat a lot of salads now.”
2. David — “I don’t drive to work any more.”
3. Pete — “I go jogging every day now.”
4. Lisa — “I’ve got a rabbit now.”
5. The Johnsons — “We don’t live in a flat any more.”
6. Sarah — “I cook every day now.”
1. Susan — “I eat a lot of salads now.” (Сьюзан: “Сейчас я ем много салатов”.)
I didn’t use to eat a lot of salads. (Обычно я не ела много салатов.)
2. David — “I don’t drive to work any more.” (Давид: “Я больше не езжу на машине”.)
I used to drive to work. (Я обычно ездил на машине на работу.)
3. Pete — “I go jogging every day now.” (Пит: “Сейчас я каждый день хожу на пробежку”.)
I didn’t use to go jogging every day. (Я обычно не ходил на пробежку каждый день.)
4. Lisa — “I’ve got a rabbit now.” (Лиза: “Сейчас у меня есть кролик”.)
I didn’t use to have a rabbit. (У меня обычно не было кролика.)
5. The Johnsons — “We don’t live in a flat any more.” (Джонсоны: “Мы больше не живем в квартире”.)
We used to live in a flat. (Мы обычно жили в квартире.)
6. Sarah — “I cook every day now.” (Сара: “Сейчас я каждый день готовлю”.)
I didn’t use to cook every day. (Я обычно не готовила каждый день).
Exercise 9. Sarah Stevens won the lottery last year. Now she is a millionaire. Fill in the gaps using used to / didn’t use to and the verbs in brackets. Then say in which sentences you could also use would.
Упражнение 9. В прошлом году Сара Стивенс выиграла лотерею. Сейчас она миллионерша. Заполните пропуски, используя used to / didn’t use to с указанным глаголом. Скажите, в каких предложениях вы могли бы использовать would.
Before I was a millionaire, I…
• 1) (rent) a small flat but now I have bought my own house.
• 2) (take) the bus to work but now I have my own car.
• 3) (not/buy) new clothes but now I can go shopping every day.
• 4) (go) camping but now I stay in expensive hotels.
• 5) (not/have) enough money to help the poor, but now I often give money to charity.
Before I was a millionaire, I… – Перед тем, как я стала миллионершей, я…
• 1) used to rent a small flat but now I have bought my own house. – обычно снимала небольшую квартиру, но сейчас я купила свой собственный дом.
• 2) used to / would take the bus to work but now I have my own car. – обычно ездила на работу на автобусе, но сейчас у меня своя собственная квартира.
• 3) didn’t use to buy new clothes but now I can go shopping every day. – обычно не покупала новую одежду, но сейчас я могу ходить за покупками каждый день.
• 4) used to / would go camping but now I stay in expensive hotels. – обычно ходила в поход, но сейчас я останавливаюсь в дорогих отелях.
• 5) didn’t use to have enough money to help the poor, but now I often give money to charity. – обычно не имела денег, чтобы помогать бедным, но сейчас я часто даю деньги на благотворительность.
The Past Continuous Tense. Упражнения с ответами
Прошедшее длительное время употребляется для описания:
Уже подружились с прошедшим длительным временем? Проверим!
Exercise 1. Составьте предложения в the Past Continuous Tense.
Answers: 1. I was going home at 4 o’clock yesterday. 2. We were playing basketball at 6 o’clock last Sunday. 3.She was talking with her friend for forty minutes yesterday. 4.You were washing the window in the afternoon yesterday. 5. Nick was riding his bike all the evening. 6. Sheila and Dora were waiting for a bus for half an hour. 7. They were preparing for the party all day yesterday. 8. I was learning the poem for an hour. 9. Dick was painting the walls in his room from 2 to 6 o’clock last Wednesday. 10. Eve and Tony were skating all day last Saturday.
Exercise 2. Поставьте глаголы в скобках в правильную форму.
Answers: 1. was having; 2. were playing; 3. was running; 4. was speaking; 5. were driving; 6. was ironing; 7. were sleeping; 8. was listening;
9. was dusting; 10. were playing.
Exercise 3. Выберите правильный вариант ответа.
Указатели времени, которые используются с прошедшим длительным временем: when, while, as.
While используется, когда два действия происходит одновременно:
While he was playing computer games his sister was speaking on the phone. Когда он играл в компьютерные игры, его сестра разговаривала по телефону,
When и as употребляются, если одно действие в предложении было прервано другим действием:
The children were singing when (as) their parents entered the classroom. Дети пели, когда их родители вошли в класс.
Answers: 1. while; 2.when; 3. as; 4. while; 5. when; 6. while; 7. when; 8. when; 9. as; 10. while.
Exercise 4. Дополните предложения when или while.
Answers: 1. when; 2.when; 3. while; 4. when; 5. while; 6.when; 7.when; 8. while; 9. when; 10. when.
Exercise 5. Сделайте предложения отрицательными.
Answers: 1. The teacher wasn’t explaining the exercise to the pupils. 2. Amanda wasn’t travelling around Africa at that time. 3. We weren’t having a Music lesson at ten o’clock yesterday. 4. I wasn’t doing the shopping yesterday. 5. Martin wasn’t visiting his aunt at this time yesterday. 6.The girls weren’t preparing for the concert. 7. They weren’t flying to Wales at 6 o’clock yesterday. 8. It wasn’t raining hard all day last Tuesday. 9. Mike and Jess weren’t walking in the park last evening. 10. He wasn’t choosing the books in the library then.
Exercise 6. Составьте предложения, используя слова в скобках в the Past Continuous Tense.
Example: He wasn’t reading the newspaper, (magazine) +
He wasn’t reading the newspaper, he was reading a magazine.
We were looking for apples, (bananas) — We were looking for apples, we weren’t looking for bananas.
Answers: 1. Angela wasn’t singing a song, she was dancing. 2. I was cooking potatoes, I wasn’t cooking fish. 3. The boys were watching a film, they weren’t watching the news. 4.My mother wasn’t washing the dishes, she was ironing the clothes. 5. He was building the house, he wasn’t building the garage. 6.They were gathering berries, they weren’t gathering mushrooms. 7. You weren’t listening to music, you were reading the book. 8. Ben was repairing his bike, he wasn’t repairing his car.
Exercise 7. Поставьте глаголы в скобках в правильную форму.
Answers: 1. weren’t listening, were reading; 2. was taking; 3. were having; 4. wasn’t planting; 5. was carrying; 6. weren’t decorating, were preparing; 7. was giving, weren’t listening; 8. wasn’t taking, was giving; 9. was arriving; 10. wasn’t waiting.
Exercise 8. Поставьте глаголы в скобках в правильную форму и прочитайте шутку.
A man and his wife had a small cafe near the station. The cafe often stayed open until after midnight, because people came to eat and drink there while they … (to wait) for trains.
It was midnight one day and all the people left the cafe except one man. That man … (not to eat), and … (not to drink). He … (to sleep). The owner of the cafe and his wife were very tired. The wife looked at the man several times, but he still … (to sleep). When it was three o’clock in the morning the wife came up to her husband and said, «You have woken this man six times now, Robert, but he didn’t leave. Why haven’t you sent him away? It’s very late».
«Oh, no, I don’t want to send him away», answered her husband with a smile. «You see, every time I wake him up, he asks for his bill, and when I bring it to him, he pays it. Then he goes to sleep again».
Answers: The cafe often stayed open until after midnight, because people came to eat and drink there while they were waiting for trains. That man wasn’t eating, and wasn’t drinking. He was sleeping. The wife looked at the man several times, but he still was sleeping.
Exercise 9. Сделайте предложения вопросительными.
Answers: 1. Were we having lunch in the canteen? 2.Was she singing a lovely song? 3. Were you speaking to your boss? 4.Was George sitting in the armchair by the fireplace? 5. Were Jane and Margaret going to the airport? 6.Was the baby crying? 7. Was it getting dark? 8. Were we waiting for my cousin? 9. Was the woman watching the children on the playground? 10.Were the tourists taking photos in front of the palace?
Exercise 10. Составьте предложения, используя the Past Continuous Tense.
Answers: 1. A man was fishing on the bank of the river. 2. Were they making notes during the lecture? 3. She wasn’t smiling any more. 4. Polly and her cousin were having tea. 5. Were you digging in the garden? 6. Mike was hanging a picture in the living-room. 7. Sue wasn’t swimming in the swimming-pool. 8. Were they waiting for the doctor? 9. I wasn’t looking at the actors. 10. She was speaking in a friendly way.
Exercise 11. Поставьте глаголы в скобках в правильную форму.
Answers: 1.Were you washing the clothes at 4 o’clock yesterday? — No, I wasn’t. I was tidying my room at that time. 2. Was Lucy doing the shopping when you met her? — Yes, she was. 3. Were they translating the text in the afternoon? — No, they weren’t. They were preparing for the Maths test. 4. Were Alison and Rita sitting in a cafe at three o’clock? — Yes, they were. They were eating ice cream. 5. Was Steve playing computer games all the evening? — No, he wasn’t. He was doing his homework. 6. Was Barbara sunbathing in the morning yesterday? — Yes, she was. 7. Were the children helping their grandparents yesterday? — Yes, they were. They were gathering fruit in the garden. 8. Were you sleeping at four o’clock yesterday? — Yes, I was. 9. Was Phil speaking to the receptionist when you came into the hall of the hotel? — No, he wasn’t. He was having breakfast in the cafe. 10. Were you packing your luggage when the taxi arrived? — No, I wasn’t.
Exercise 12. Напишите вопросы к предложениям, используя вопросительные слова в скобках.
Wh-word + was + l/he/she/it + Ving?
Wh-word + were + you/we/they + Ving?
Where was she going yesterday? Куда она шла вчера?
What were you doing at 5 o’clock yesterday? Что ты делал вчера в 5 часов?
Вопрос к подлежащему образуется с помощью вспомогательного глагола was:
Who was cooking dinner yesterday? Кто готовил обед вчера?
Answers: 1. What was she doing at two o’clock yesterday? When was she visiting her dentist? 2. Who was having an English lesson at ten o’clock last Monday? What lesson were they having at ten o’clock last Monday? 3. Where were we driving yesterday evening? When were we driving towards the village? 4.What was he painting last Saturday? When was he painting the roof of the garage? 5. Whom were you waiting for at the bus stop? What were you doing at the bus stop? 6. Whose aunt was speaking to the shop-assistant in the supermarket? Where was my aunt speaking to the shop assistant? 7. How were we walking? Why were we walking quickly? 8. What was the dog doing in the yard? Where was the dog barking? 9. Who was sunbathing on the beach? Where were they sunbathing? 10. What was she painting in her room? What was she doing in her room?
Exercise 13. Составьте вопрос к выделенным словосочетаниям.
Answers: 1. Who was playing tennis in the tennis court? What were the girls playing in the tennis court? Where were the girls playing tennis? 2. What was the cat doing on the sofa? Where was the cat sleeping? 3. Who was crossing the street at the traffic light? What were we crossing at the traffic light? 4.What was he explaining to his brother? Whom was he explaining the task to? 5. How was the woman walking along the road? Where was the woman walking slowly?
Exercise 14. Поставьте глаголы в скобках в правильную форму.
Answers: 1. Where were you going yesterday evening? — I was going to the railway station to meet my uncle. 2. Where was your sister shopping yesterday morning? — Well, she was shopping in a new shopping centre all day yesterday. 3. How long were they preparing for the test last Sunday? — They were preparing for the test from 2 to 6 o’clock. 4. What book was he reading at five o’clock yesterday? — He wasn’t reading. He was translating a short story for his French lesson. 5. What was Dick doing yesterday evening? — He was playing a new computer game all the evening. 6. Why were Chris and Sam laughing so loudly? — Because they were watching a comedy film. 7. Who was singing that nice song when we came into the hall? — My friend was singing. 8. Why were you baking a cake yesterday morning? — Because I was waiting for the guests. 9. Whom was she speaking to when I met her? — She was speaking to her coach. 10.Whose car was Bill driving yesterday? — He was driving his cousin’s car.
Exercise 15. Переведите на английский язык.
Answers: 1. What were you doing at five o’clock yesterday? — We were cooking supper and waiting for guests. 2. Where was she going yesterday morning? — She was going to the dentist. 3. What film was your brother watching in the cinema yesterday? — He was watching a new horror film. 4. Where was she waiting for me? — She was waiting for you near the theatre. 5.What article were you reading yesterday? — I was reading an article about the latest scientific discoveries. 6. Why was he driving so fast? — He was hurrying to the railway station. 7. When was Tom swimming in the swimming- pool yesterday? — He was swimming from four to five. 8. What was your brother doing yesterday morning? — He was repairing a bike yesterday morning. 9. Who was Anna speaking to at two o’clock yesterday? — She was speaking to a secretary. 10.What were the children doing after the lessons yesterday? — They were preparing for the sport competitions.
Павличенко О.М. Английский язык. Грамматический практикум. II уровень. — 2-е изд., испр. и доп. — X.: Ранок, 2012. — 304 с.
Interview on the Shit Control channel with subtitles
Два слова, которые все путают! QUITE vs QUIET - в чем разница? Английская лексика просто
последний день в школе в Англии и алмазная роспись на английском языке
Escape from the fire | Chapter 2 The time-travel phones
8 КЛАССНЫХ ФРАЗ НА АНГЛИЙСКОМ ИЗ ИНТЕРВЬЮ SADIE SINK (INTERMEDIATE - UPPER-INTERMEDIATE)
"Инструкция для Байдена" стих читает автор, Михаил Калинин
"Агафья. Вся жизнь - аскетический подвиг"
Как жить, если лишают родины / When they rob you of your country
СТАТЬ МЕРОМ ДЕРЕВУШКЕ ТАК ЛЕГКО? | FOUNDATION #1
НЕФТЬ и ЭКОЛОГИЯ. Спасут ли нас электромобили?